Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Anyone have experience installing a t5 in an Acadian?


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4596
Date:
Anyone have experience installing a t5 in an Acadian?


Leaning towards getting a t5 tranny for my 65 Canso.  Just a 283 so no big power and the guys I have talked to said it should be more than adequate.  Wondering if anyone has done one of these as there are a few styles.  Biggest difference is the difference of shifter location as one style is about 10" further back than the other.  Can get a fully rebuilt one out of Spokane for under $900 so that is where I am tempted to head right now.  Any thoughts?



__________________
Jerel


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 315
Date:

A distant relative tried to talk me into it for my car, he has swapped one into his 1955 Chevy shop truck behind a 283, the truck is basically stock and he was over the top about it. Don't remember the all the details but I do remember it was a pretty simple combination of off the shelf parts as far as clutch etc. I believe you need a spacer between the bellhousing and trans.....



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4596
Date:

Islander wrote:

A distant relative tried to talk me into it for my car, he has swapped one into his 1955 Chevy shop truck behind a 283, the truck is basically stock and he was over the top about it. Don't remember the all the details but I do remember it was a pretty simple combination of off the shelf parts as far as clutch etc. I believe you need a spacer between the bellhousing and trans.....


 Kevin, do you already have the 4 speed for your car?



__________________
Jerel


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 315
Date:

jmont64 wrote:
Islander wrote:

A distant relative tried to talk me into it for my car, he has swapped one into his 1955 Chevy shop truck behind a 283, the truck is basically stock and he was over the top about it. Don't remember the all the details but I do remember it was a pretty simple combination of off the shelf parts as far as clutch etc. I believe you need a spacer between the bellhousing and trans.....


 Kevin, do you already have the 4 speed for your car?


 No, it is the last big ticket item.....easy to find, tougher to afford!!



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4722
Date:

had a t5 in my 55 truck. i used a t5 out of a older s10 because the was shifter forward and the speedo drive was mechanical. everything else i used was for the 55 except the clutch disc was for the t5

__________________

sTevE

55 GMC, 53 Pontiac Sedan Delivery (for sale), 70 Pontiac 2+2 rag



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4918
Date:

These will work OK but would suggest you try & get the WC model [World Class] they are a bit stronger!! None of these will stand up to any HP or "POWER SHIFTS" so beware. They will be OK if you go high on revs BUT Granny shift it to next gear!!! I was going to use one of these but decided to "bite the bullet" & went for a Tremec TK 500 5spd. & don't regret it now!!! Can power shift it all day long & may wear out the back tires!!!!

__________________

I can only please one person a day, today is not your day!!! Tomorrow isn't looking  good either.   !!!!!!!! BLACKSTOCK Ont.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34898
Date:

dualquadpete wrote:

These will work OK but would suggest you try & get the WC model [World Class] they are a bit stronger!! None of these will stand up to any HP or "POWER SHIFTS" so beware. They will be OK if you go high on revs BUT Granny shift it to next gear!!! I was going to use one of these but decided to "bite the bullet" & went for a Tremec TK 500 5spd. & don't regret it now!!! Can power shift it all day long & may wear out the back tires!!!!


         he did say he was running a 283....

         If the car is not too valuable, just cut out the centre hump and the weld in whatever hole is left over      

         will the 283 "pull the overdrive?"

 

       kinda nice to keep it sotck   stick in a 3 speed 



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4722
Date:

put 5 years on the 283/T5 combo in the 55. with over drive and 3.08 rearend i was cruising at 70 @ around 2000 rpm. t5 only had issues when i pulled the 283 and replaced with 70 LT1 350. i am putting the 283 w/ new heads back into the 55 in the spring and also the t5 is going back in. highly recommend that combo.

__________________

sTevE

55 GMC, 53 Pontiac Sedan Delivery (for sale), 70 Pontiac 2+2 rag



Uber Guru

Status: Online
Posts: 3724
Date:

You will need 2 trans for the Beaumont/Acadian, 1st is the WC Camaro trans and also the s10 trans. The T5 is bolted up in reverse, in other words the trans ears are threaded and you will need to drill out the threads to bolt to a stock bell housing. The misconception is that the trans bolts on an angle, but once you unbolt the trans from the Camaro bell housing it bolts up straight to stock chev housing, this makes the shifter straight up. If you want a speedo you must use the output shaft from the s10 housing along with the tailshaft housing which also moves the shifter forward to clear a bench seat. You can just use the tailshaft housing from the s10 without changing output shaft and bolt to the WC trans but the speed drive is in a different location. Also the 5th gear/OD is prone to jumping off ( held in by snap ring) found out the hard way! Their is an aftermarket kit that will hold it in place. They also make a short through shifter base that can be found on e bay. Good and cheep way to go if you want an OD.

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34898
Date:

The post is 3 YEARS old     wonder if he spend the money or just drove it ....



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4596
Date:

427carl wrote:

The post is 3 YEARS old     wonder if he spend the money or just drove it ....


 Yeah he spent the money and hasn't even driven it.  I do have the camaro transmission and the S10 tranny though so the components are there.  It will be my retirement project.



__________________
Jerel


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4918
Date:

Just an 'aside" note. on recent trip to Brockville I averaged 26 MPG in the 52 , 350 out to 360, 2 x4 eckler cam & head work & 3:42 gears out back!!Ran it at 60 to 65 MPH turning 1600 RPM No complaints on that & am going to drive it down to West Virginia the end of the mth. for Doo Wop show. Tremec tk 500 5 spd. works well!!!!!

__________________

I can only please one person a day, today is not your day!!! Tomorrow isn't looking  good either.   !!!!!!!! BLACKSTOCK Ont.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.