Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: ?? On LS engines in Ont.


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1017
Date:
?? On LS engines in Ont.


Hi boys im trying to find out a few things from this province.If I was to

go an LS engine do I have to use cats etc on the exhaust.I was told that

whatever came with the engine has to be put on my car.Hell I don't want

cats.So I guess its all about this air care crap.Info please on this.Thanks



__________________
"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time because nothing is ever perfect. The pursuit of excellence is commendable and worth while. Therefore strive for excellence, not perfection"


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 17280
Date:

My understanding of the legislation is HELL YES !



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays






Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1692
Date:

I don't know the Ont. rules, but I think the emissions testing is based on the year of the engine. I wouldn't really sweat running cats, they don't take up much room and you can still make gobs of power. biggrin



__________________

Barry -

2 x 68 Beaumonts, 1post, 1 hardtop (projects)

2x 65 Chevelle 300 deluxe (projects)

69 SS396 300 deluxe post

 

 

 

Fredericton,NB

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4890
Date:

If your using a "used" engine then it "has' to "EVERYTHING" that came with that year of engine for what it was in, if you buy a "NEW" crate engine from GM then NO GO FIGURE!!!!

__________________

I can only please one person a day, today is not your day!!! Tomorrow isn't looking  good either.   !!!!!!!! BLACKSTOCK Ont.



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1017
Date:

So if I buy a new LS im good to go except the 8's for 1.Sounds like a deal to me.

__________________
"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time because nothing is ever perfect. The pursuit of excellence is commendable and worth while. Therefore strive for excellence, not perfection"


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 19271
Date:

Here in PEI cats are not required on vehicles older than 1989. Move out here. There's still lots of room!

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1017
Date:

But didn't somebody buy that house next door Todd?

__________________
"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time because nothing is ever perfect. The pursuit of excellence is commendable and worth while. Therefore strive for excellence, not perfection"


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 19271
Date:

Yes. I met the new neighbors last weekend. Nice folk

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 17280
Date:

GrtDanes wrote:

So if I buy a new LS im good to go except the 8's for 1.Sounds like a deal to me.


 I would check the regulation myself, I disagree with Pete's interpretation. Regulation 361/98 Environmental Protection Act.

The Act takes the position that a crate engine is not intended to be roadworthy in which case no emission equipment is needed. If it is to be used on the road then it becomes a different story imo.



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays






A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34751
Date:

IF I put a sweet running LS in my car   I would defintely add  Fast Cats   that allows for O2 sensors    Easy peazy 



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 33762
Date:

427carl wrote:

IF I put a sweet running LS in my car   





DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!

__________________
1966 Strato Chief 2 door sedan 283 "survivor"


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34751
Date:

I know wheres there a 8.1   496 cu in  



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 33762
Date:

Sorry, all this emissions testing etc is foreign to me. Do they do annual tests, or random roadside tests, or how is this enforced? I think I've seen the answer to this here when it was discussed in the past but I don't recall.

Is it the cost or the hassle that makes you not want to do the cats on to make it legal?

__________________
1966 Strato Chief 2 door sedan 283 "survivor"


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1017
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:

Sorry, all this emissions testing etc is foreign to me. Do they do annual tests, or random roadside tests, or how is this enforced? I think I've seen the answer to this here when it was discussed in the past but I don't recall.

Is it the cost or the hassle that makes you not want to do the cats on to make it legal?


I just think if a car never came with all this crap,you shouldn't have to put it on now. 



__________________
"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time because nothing is ever perfect. The pursuit of excellence is commendable and worth while. Therefore strive for excellence, not perfection"


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 19271
Date:

Agreed. A stock LS without cats probably runs cleaner than the original engine ever would.

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 15313
Date:

Canadian Poncho wrote:

Here in PEI cats are not required on vehicles older than 1989. Move out here. There's still lots of room!


 Dogs aren't even required on vehicles here ... I don't think anything is really requiredbiggrin All you need to know is someone who inspects cars really well.



__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 17280
Date:

This is from my own "For What its worth File". We all know it is a indisputable fact that an internal combustion engine emits dangerous pollutants to the atmosphere, that's a fact.

Logic dictates that the more internal combustion engine there are then the more dangerous pollutants being emitted into the atmosphere. 

 

Vehicle registration in PEI = 111,425

 

Vehicle registration in MB = 1,069,024

 

Vehicle registration in Ontario = 11,263,085

 



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays






Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1017
Date:

73SC wrote:

This is from my own "For What its worth File". We all know it is a indisputable fact that an internal combustion engine emits dangerous pollutants to the atmosphere, that's a fact.

Logic dictates that the more internal combustion engine there are then the more dangerous pollutants being emitted into the atmosphere. 

 

Vehicle registration in PEI = 111,425

 

Vehicle registration in MB = 1,069,024

 

Vehicle registration in Ontario = 11,263,085

 


Hell you ever drive through Hamilton when Stelco goes full blowen,you cant see nothing.And outta your 11,263,085 cars how many before 1988 should we be so

worried about that comes outta them?:beer1: 



__________________
"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time because nothing is ever perfect. The pursuit of excellence is commendable and worth while. Therefore strive for excellence, not perfection"


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3552
Date:

Could you go dual ownership and register out of province with someone you trust? Maybe a relative? or just remove cats after passes.

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 15313
Date:

73SC wrote:

Vehicle registration in PEI = 111,425

 


 ... and there is only a population of 137,000 people on PEI.

Factor in how many vehicles on PEI roads aren't even registered (I know there are many of them).



__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34751
Date:

GrtDanes wrote:
Carl Stevenson wrote:

Sorry, all this emissions testing etc is foreign to me. Do they do annual tests, or random roadside tests, or how is this enforced? I think I've seen the answer to this here when it was discussed in the past but I don't recall.

Is it the cost or the hassle that makes you not want to do the cats on to make it legal?


I just think if a car never came with all this crap,you shouldn't have to put it on now. 


         You don't have to    just put a old 60's engine in it and your good to go  



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 19271
Date:

I don't understand your post Ray. Why should an old car with a newer motor have to have pollution controls? I agree that new cars that are driven several thousand KM's a year should have them but I don't understand the MOE's logic about older cars having to have the pollution controls that came on the newer engine.

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 15313
Date:

Canadian Poncho wrote:

I agree that new cars that are driven several thousand KM's a year should have them but I don't understand the MOE's logic about older cars having to have the pollution controls that came on the newer engine.


 That makes too much sense. Old cars that get driven maybe 5000 kms a year.confuse



__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3552
Date:

So in other words we can put in an old worn out "stock" motor that smokes like an SOB and that's OK, but put in a 2000 LS with o2 sensors without cats that put out 1/10th the emissions of original motor but may not pass testing? Yup makes a lot of sense! I would think that as long as the motor met or surpassed orig equipment they would be happy?



-- Edited by hawkeye5766 on Saturday 31st of January 2015 08:13:14 PM

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 17280
Date:

Canadian Poncho wrote:

I don't understand your post Ray. Why should an old car with a newer motor have to have pollution controls? I agree that new cars that are driven several thousand KM's a year should have them but I don't understand the MOE's logic about older cars having to have the pollution controls that came on the newer engine.


The Statistics show that Pollution from internal combustion powered vehicles is a serious problem in Ontario and maybe not an issue in PEI.  I understand the logic,  the engine is what pollutes so the engine with its equipment installed should conform to the standards in place for the year when the engine was manufactured. Making exceptions for this or that is a slippery slope.



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays




1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.