Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Another Restoration Detailing Sticker I'm Considering To Make


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:
Another Restoration Detailing Sticker I'm Considering To Make


After talking and sharing photos with other Oshawa built Chevelle owners I discovered an engine compartment detailing item that I have NEVER seen before. Located on either the driver's or passenger's inner fender is a sticker for oil change. I've never seen this item on any US built cars. It is not on my Oshawa built 1970 Chevelle, but I have suspected a front-end collision in my car's past. I have steel inner fenders, which I believe are replacements after hearing that all Oshawa built 70 Chevelles got fiber/plastic inner fenders. Long story short, my oil change sticker is long gone so long ago I never knew it existed.

This item in not being reproduced, as far as I can tell. If you know where they're offered, please let me know. You may have seen that I created an extremely faithful reproduction of the trunk posi sticker. I'm considering to do the same for this oil change decal, but before I jump in I'd like to get some feedback for how many brands/families of GM Oshawa cars used it. Was it a widely used item, for all GM brands built in Ontario? Did its use span many years? Is there interest if do a small print run of these?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Please see my reproduction of the trunk lid posi warning sticker here:
http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t61101115/doing-research-for-restoration-details/



Attachments
__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2788
Date:

I am pretty sure that jimosborn decals already makes it,  check there website,  its hard to navigate, or phone them direct



__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

Thanks for the info. You are correct that that is a crappy site! Navigation is clunky, but doable, however: no previews for ANYTHING??? Terrible user experience! How is anyone supposed to know if their part selection is correct?



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3571
Date:

Michael, that decal is being done because i bought a new one about three years ago. It looks exactly like that one.



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low milage original 400 V-8



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 19323
Date:

Also be careful- GM likes to license these sort of thing....

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

long stroke wrote:

Michael, that decal is being done because i bought a new one about three years ago. It looks exactly like that one.


Hey man, where did you get it from? The Jim Osborn site? 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

Canadian Poncho wrote:

Also be careful- GM likes to license these sort of thing....


I appreciate that thought of caution. What makes me mad is that the posi sticker I refer to in my other thread as a "cheap reproduction" has official GM license logos on the backside. The print quality/blotchy type alone makes it an a crap piece, never mind it's other inaccuracies. I, for one, would hope an officially licensed product would be better.

I'm considering ordering a single oil change sticker to see for myself.

 



__________________
NOS


Poncho Master!

Status: Online
Posts: 1093
Date:

my 69 442 and 69 Caprice wagon had that sticker and I have seen many  other GM's of that vintage.

 

Dale @ NOS     a poncho supporter

 

 

 

 



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3571
Date:

michael j wrote:
long stroke wrote:

Michael, that decal is being done because i bought a new one about three years ago. It looks exactly like that one.


Hey man, where did you get it from? The Jim Osborn site? 


 Michael, if i remember correctly i got it in Oakville, Ontario at Special Interest Automobiles. Ray Nadeu is really into Ford resto parts but he sells decals for ALL cars. George



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low milage original 400 V-8



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2618
Date:

On my Oshawa-built 67 Chevelle there was always evidence of a decal on the right inner fender. As it turned out it was for the oil change decal. Years ago I found a source and bought one from Hot Rods & Classics in Chilliwack B.C. Their # is 1-800-352-1932. Be aware there are differences between certain years.

U.S.-built GM cars also received the oil change decals when they were imported into Canada. I suspect it was but one of many parts of the Canadian Base Equipment Modifications, RPO Z49.



__________________

67 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, Oshawa-built stocker 250 Powerglide 40,000 mile

Also in garage waiting: stroker 296 cid inline six & built TH350

Cameron Milne, Toronto.


I am a walking encyclopedia with numerous pages missing.



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 15375
Date:

This is off my parted-out '68 Parisienne:

IMG_1280.JPG

 



Attachments
__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

Pontiacanada wrote:

This is off my parted-out '68 Parisienne:

Thanks for the photo. There was definitely a graphic design change between '68 and '70. The font on this example is a completely different family.

I appreciate the help!



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34791
Date:

michael j wrote:
Canadian Poncho wrote:

Also be careful- GM likes to license these sort of thing....


I appreciate that thought of caution. What makes me mad is that the posi sticker I refer to in my other thread as a "cheap reproduction" has official GM license logos on the backside. The print quality/blotchy type alone makes it an a crap piece, never mind it's other inaccuracies. I, for one, would hope an officially licensed product would be better.

I'm considering ordering a single oil change sticker to see for myself.

 


        The Old GM and the old GM people are dead and gone    New GM doesn't give a poop



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 17335
Date:

Last time I was in Detroit I picked up 6 of these at National Parts Depot, I think it was $3 ea. Its pretty easy to find at other decal suppliers as well. 

Part number at NDP is C-DC414,  Its listed as Canadian Oil Change.



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays






Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

73SC wrote:

Last time I was in Detroit I picked up 6 of these at National Parts Depot, I think it was $3 ea. Its pretty easy to find at other decal suppliers as well. 

Part number at NDP is C-DC414,  Its listed as Canadian Oil Change.


Wow. Someone really needs to teach people how to build and organize websites! I poked around and couldn't find it, but when I used your part number it came up. Unfortunately, it is not a match for the 1970 design. Very different. This is from NPD's site:

NPD's Canadian Oil Change Decal

There was also this one which is closer but still way off. Wrong layout, wrong font, absolutely ugly underline underneath "Top Line" (gaaaah! Serisously?)
c-dc972.jpg
Out of curiosity, what is the paper/material like? I would think it should be plastic-ish, as this is a potentially wet and harsh environment for a paper sticker to live in.

 



-- Edited by michael j on Sunday 1st of November 2015 09:29:46 AM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 46
Date:

I have an original sticker I was able to remove in one piece off of

a 70 chevelle 307 malibu. I would send it to you for reproduction 

purposes if you like. PM me if interested. Stanimage.jpeg



Attachments
__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

1966SD wrote:

I have an original sticker I was able to remove in one piece off of

a 70 chevelle 307 malibu. I would send it to you for reproduction 

 

 

Well hello, Steve Macdonald.

 



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 15375
Date:

michael j wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the paper/material like? I would think it should be plastic-ish, as this is a potentially wet and harsh environment for a paper sticker to live in.

 


 It was vinyl-like ... mine got pretty brittle in cold weather (when I tired to remove it). It never survived removal.



__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.