Photobucket Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Chevrolet V8 displacement


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 269
Date:
Chevrolet V8 displacement


From Rod Action, March 1979..........

 

Chevrolet V8.jpg



Attachments
__________________


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 220
Date:

Very interesting. I didnt know the 327 was not made as a 4 bolt main

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 32608
Date:

posnick wrote:

Very interesting. I didnt know the 327 was not made as a 4 bolt main





And yes, that is correct. Great way to make money on a bet!

__________________
1966 Strato Chief 2 door sedan 283 "survivor"


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 32608
Date:

I see one small block they missed. Anyone want to guess?

Randy Hicks, you aren't allowed to guess, you always kick butt at this stuff! (And you too Ray (73SC), I know you know this one too!)



__________________
1966 Strato Chief 2 door sedan 283 "survivor"


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1133
Date:

That would be the baby, 262, noticed it was missing right away.

__________________

Stony Mountain, MB

65 Impala SS 2dr HT
65 Impala convert.
59 Impala 2dr HT
67 Acadian Canso 2dr HT

 

 

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 728
Date:

Also no mention of the 348, 409 and 427 ci W motors.

__________________

Barrie Ont.

409 powered 61 Poncho

best time 9.06@ 148 



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 32608
Date:

DANO65 wrote:

That would be the baby, 262, noticed it was missing right away.





Too easy!

__________________
1966 Strato Chief 2 door sedan 283 "survivor"


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1133
Date:

jim_ss409 wrote:

Also no mention of the 348, 409 and 427 ci W motors.


 Now how did I miss that? no 



__________________

Stony Mountain, MB

65 Impala SS 2dr HT
65 Impala convert.
59 Impala 2dr HT
67 Acadian Canso 2dr HT

 

 

 



Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 118
Date:

i always assumed the 302 zapper was a 327 4 bolt main block with a 283 crank anyone know for sure?

__________________




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 14846
Date:

Cool, the 283 never really changed from '58 - '67!



__________________

Prince Edward Islandbug.gif

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2442
Date:

The 302 was small journal in 67, large journal with 2-bolt mains in 68, and large journal with 4-bolt mains for 1969.

They said that the early 350s had small journals, but that is not correct. The large journals that were introduced on the balance of the small blocks for 1968 actually started on the 1967 350s.

The 265 actiually did stay in production through 1957, though in passenger cars it was only available with manual transmissions for 1957. The 265 was the V8 used in the light duty trucks through 1957. Passenger car 265s for 1957 were painted gold, not orange.

 

The first Chevy V8 was 288 cubic inches. It was in the lineup around WWI, that is 1917-18. The car probably cost the same as a house.



__________________

67 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, Oshawa-built stocker 250 Powerglide 40,000 mile

Also in garage waiting: stroker 296 cid inline six & built TH350

Cameron Milne, Toronto.


I am a walking encyclopedia with numerous pages missing.



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18827
Date:

First I've heard of a 510. Anyone ever see one of these?

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

1969 Pontiac Laurentian 2 door hardtop **SOLD**
1975 Firebird Esprit 350/4speed **SOLD**
Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2262
Date:

Canadian Poncho wrote:

First I've heard of a 510. Anyone ever see one of these?


Not sure if it was the 510 or the 495, but I did see one in Greg Pickett's IMSA tube-frame Corvette, circa 1980. Cross ram fuel injection, what a beautiful sight (and sound!). That car was wicked fast, showed those snotty Porsche turbo cars a thing or two.

Dave



__________________

56Pontiac  1956 Pontiac Pathfinder 2dr sedan, 496 - dyno'd 545 hp, stick shift, 4.11 posi - Hot Rod

  1964 Acadian Beaumont SD convert, 283 - factory 195 hp, Powerglide, 3.08 10-bolt - Cruiser

  2012 US-built crew cab truck - Daily Driver and Boat Trailering



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 34586
Date:

DANO65 wrote:

That would be the baby, 262, noticed it was missing right away.


3.671 in bore family (19751976)[edit]

262[edit]

The 19751976 262 was a 262 cu in (4.3 L) 90° pushrod V8 with an iron block and heads. Bore and stroke were 3.67 in (93 mm) by 3.10 in (78.7 mm). Power output for 1975 was 110 hp (82 kW) and 133 lb·ft (180 N·m) at 3600 rpm. The 262 was replaced by the 305 for the 1977 model year.

This was Chevrolet's second 4.3 L-displacement powerplant; four other Chevrolet engines displaced 4.3 L: the Vortec 4300 (a V6 based on the Chevrolet 350, with two cylinders removed), the original 265 V8 in 1955, a stroked version of the stovebolt-era 235 inline six displacing 261 cubic inches, and a derivative of the GenerationII LT engines known as the L99 (using the 305's 3.736-inch bore, 5.94-inch connecting rods, and a 3-inch crankshaft stroke).

This engine was used in the following cars:



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3172
Date:

CdnGMfan wrote:

 

The 265 actiually did stay in production through 1957, though in passenger cars it was only available with manual transmissions for 1957. The 265 was the V8 used in the light duty trucks through 1957. Passenger car 265s for 1957 were painted gold, not orange.

 

 


 I always thought the 265 in 57 was U.S. only in pass cars and all Canadian cars came with the 283.



__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2262
Date:

davelacourse wrote:
Canadian Poncho wrote:

First I've heard of a 510. Anyone ever see one of these?


Not sure if it was the 510 or the 495, but I did see one in Greg Pickett's IMSA tube-frame Corvette, circa 1980. Cross ram fuel injection, what a beautiful sight (and sound!). That car was wicked fast, showed those snotty Porsche turbo cars a thing or two.

Dave


... sorry I could not find a bigger photo, but here is what that fuel injection system looked like with the hood off:

road race bbc.jpg

Dave



Attachments
__________________

56Pontiac  1956 Pontiac Pathfinder 2dr sedan, 496 - dyno'd 545 hp, stick shift, 4.11 posi - Hot Rod

  1964 Acadian Beaumont SD convert, 283 - factory 195 hp, Powerglide, 3.08 10-bolt - Cruiser

  2012 US-built crew cab truck - Daily Driver and Boat Trailering



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1522
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:

I see one small block they missed. Anyone want to guess?

Randy Hicks, you aren't allowed to guess, you always kick butt at this stuff! (And you too Ray (73SC), I know you know this one too!)


 O.K, can I mention the 430, 465, 495 and 510 were aluminum Can Am Engines??

 

Thanks

Randy



__________________

Sherwood Park
Alberta, Canada

1981 Parisienne 400

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.