Photobucket Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Top Fuel Dragsters powered by ... Toyota?!?!


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2262
Date:
Top Fuel Dragsters powered by ... Toyota?!?!


How and when did that happen?!?!

I admit I have not been following NHRA drag racing for quite a few years, but I was just watching a few on TV, and saw all these Top Fuel Dragsters sporting Toyota emblems, and apparently their motors are ... Toyota?!?!

I am confused. Now drag racing has been taken over by Japan?

Dave



__________________

56Pontiac  1956 Pontiac Pathfinder 2dr sedan, 496 - dyno'd 545 hp, stick shift, 4.11 posi - Hot Rod

  1964 Acadian Beaumont SD convert, 283 - factory 195 hp, Powerglide, 3.08 10-bolt - Cruiser

  2012 US-built crew cab truck - Daily Driver and Boat Trailering



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2747
Date:

I stopped paying any attention to NHRA after about 1998, gone downhill ever since.



__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3377
Date:

beaumontguru wrote:

I stopped paying any attention to NHRA after about 1998, gone downhill ever since.


 Dave, i would say down hill long before that. I only follow Nostalgia Drag Racing because modern drag racing sucks. I just find the cars too boring looking and too high tech. I am only interested in the cars that represent drag racing in the glory years of about 1950 to 1980. I would recommend to any one to join Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racing Association (O N D R A). Nothing high tech or boring at any of their great drag racing meets. Cheers. George



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low milage original 400 V-8



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 17181
Date:

When Toyota wanted to get into the pick up Truck Market they needed a V8 engine so GM kindly sent some Chevrolet engine experts over to help design the Toyota V8 that powers their trucks and NASCARS. Apparently the design is basically a Chevy small block. For all the racing Toyota does I don't think they use it to their advantage in Marketing their products, not at least to the same extent as Chevrolet or Ford. 



__________________

BR%20Wedding_zpsuiajdlun.png

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

Tweet me @BigRaySays






Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1541
Date:

2013:

www.enginelabs.com/features/editorials-opinions/how-toyota-and-nascar-helped-build-a-600ci-small-block-chevy/

About the same time, Toyota was petitioning to enter NASCAR by starting out in the truck series. Since it had no pushrod V8 upon which to base a race engine, Toyota was given freedom to clean-sheet an engine based on what was already in the garages. Toyota Racing Development (TuRD) purchased Ford, Chevy and Dodge race engines and took more than 8,000 measurements. TuRD engineers then pushed the dimensions as far as they could negotiate with NASCAR. For example, they asked for 4.550-inch bore centers but were allowed 4.500-inch. Toyota also went with eight cam bearings, front-mounted distributor and 20 head bolts. In the end, Toyota obsoleted all the other engines, so NASCAR allowed clean-sheet designs from the other three. Chevy responded with the R07, Dodge came out with the closed-deck R6P8 and Ford followed with the FR9. All have 4.500-inch bore centers but NASCAR still mandates a 4.185-inch maximum bore to keep cylinder head development and valve sizes in check. However, the wider bore centers allow intricate cooling passages, and cooler engines mean less tape on the front grille.

Thanks
Randy

__________________

Sherwood Park
Alberta, Canada

1981 Parisienne 400



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1541
Date:

davelacourse wrote:

How and when did that happen?!?!

I admit I have not been following NHRA drag racing for quite a few years, but I was just watching a few on TV, and saw all these Top Fuel Dragsters sporting Toyota emblems, and apparently their motors are ... Toyota?!?!

I am confused. Now drag racing has been taken over by Japan?

Dave


Toyoda sponsorship only.

All Top Fuel Engines are still Chrysler Hemi style Engines.

 

Thanks

Randy

 



__________________

Sherwood Park
Alberta, Canada

1981 Parisienne 400



Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 236
Date:

Thankfully, in Nostalgia, there's the Champion Speed Shop Car. The small block usually lasts til at least the speed trap...................

www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2013/07/BL_AdamSorokin-aafd.jpg

__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2262
Date:

GLHS60 wrote:
davelacourse wrote:

How and when did that happen?!?!

I admit I have not been following NHRA drag racing for quite a few years, but I was just watching a few on TV, and saw all these Top Fuel Dragsters sporting Toyota emblems, and apparently their motors are ... Toyota?!?!

I am confused. Now drag racing has been taken over by Japan?

Dave


Toyoda sponsorship only.

All Top Fuel Engines are still Chrysler Hemi style Engines.

 

Thanks

Randy

 


Thanks for explaining that ... seems kind of silly for a car manufacturer to sponsor a Top Fuel car that does not use anything from that manufacturer. But I am glad that the much-loved Chrysler Hemi motors still reign supreme.

Dave



__________________

56Pontiac  1956 Pontiac Pathfinder 2dr sedan, 496 - dyno'd 545 hp, stick shift, 4.11 posi - Hot Rod

  1964 Acadian Beaumont SD convert, 283 - factory 195 hp, Powerglide, 3.08 10-bolt - Cruiser

  2012 US-built crew cab truck - Daily Driver and Boat Trailering

MC


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3221
Date:

GLHS60 wrote:

2013:

www.enginelabs.com/features/editorials-opinions/how-toyota-and-nascar-helped-build-a-600ci-small-block-chevy/

About the same time, Toyota was petitioning to enter NASCAR by starting out in the truck series. Since it had no pushrod V8 upon which to base a race engine, Toyota was given freedom to clean-sheet an engine based on what was already in the garages. Toyota Racing Development (TuRD) purchased Ford, Chevy and Dodge race engines and took more than 8,000 measurements. TuRD engineers then pushed the dimensions as far as they could negotiate with NASCAR. For example, they asked for 4.550-inch bore centers but were allowed 4.500-inch. Toyota also went with eight cam bearings, front-mounted distributor and 20 head bolts. In the end, Toyota obsoleted all the other engines, so NASCAR allowed clean-sheet designs from the other three. Chevy responded with the R07, Dodge came out with the closed-deck R6P8 and Ford followed with the FR9. All have 4.500-inch bore centers but NASCAR still mandates a 4.185-inch maximum bore to keep cylinder head development and valve sizes in check. However, the wider bore centers allow intricate cooling passages, and cooler engines mean less tape on the front grille.

Thanks
Randy


 LOL!  Every time I see "TRD" on one of their pickups, I can't help but think how inept Toyota marketing people must be to select that acronym to put on their 'sporty' models.  I always think to myself: "there goes another turd...".

Thanks for the summary on how NASCAR kissed Toyota's butt.  I can't help but be disgusted every time I see Toyota on a NASCAR.  Don't really watch it much anymore, to be honest.



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3377
Date:

64PARCONUK wrote:

Thankfully, in Nostalgia, there's the Champion Speed Shop Car. The small block usually lasts til at least the speed trap...................

www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2013/07/BL_AdamSorokin-aafd.jpg


 I am confused, that looks like a big block in that front engine dragster. What does your comment about the small block mean ?



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low milage original 400 V-8



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3377
Date:

long stroke wrote:
64PARCONUK wrote:

Thankfully, in Nostalgia, there's the Champion Speed Shop Car. The small block usually lasts til at least the speed trap...................

www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2013/07/BL_AdamSorokin-aafd.jpg


 I am confused, that looks like a big block in that front engine dragster. What does your comment about the small block mean ?


 Still no clarification. 



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low milage original 400 V-8



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1344
Date:

image.jpeg



Attachments
__________________

cutting a roof off a four door is NOT a convertible.....

65 Parisienne convertible project.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.