Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: 1968 Beaumont Convertible - On the fence still


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:
1968 Beaumont Convertible - On the fence still


Hi Everyone,

I can't believe I'm even writing this but I'm CONSIDERING selling my 1968 Beaumont Custom Convertible.  I just never seem to have time for it; you know the routine, career, kids, aging parents, etc. plus I'm losing my separate shop and downsizing to just a 2 car garage.  I haven't even had time to really dewinterize yet...sigh cry  I know I'll be hard pressed to find another one should I have regrets and start looking again in the near future.   I haven't listed anywhere yet but thought I would see if there was any interest here first as you guys are the guru's on them and the short while I've been on the site, everyone's been so helpful to the few questions I've had.  I'll post a few pictures too, but have or can take more if required.  I'm losing my shop Jun. 17th so if I pull the trigger and post the ad I'm hoping I can sell quickly.

Anyways here's the ad I wrote up.  

1968 Pontiac Beaumont custom convertible, built 350, Edelbrock aluminum heads, RPM intake and new carb, roller rockers, MSD ignition, coated headers and flow master exhaust. Turbo 350 with high stall and 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears.  Power steering,  Power front disc and power top.  New master cylinder and windshield. Console, buckets, all original panels, no rust, original colours in and out, repainted once around year 2000.  Spent its whole life in Medicine Hat before I purchased early last year.  Car is not perfect (if it was i would be asking much more) but is  in very good shape overall, and runs, drives and looks great, passed BC inspection easily.  This is the car I looked for for quite some time but regretfully, reality has come crashing down as I just don't have time for it, put only about 500 miles on since last year.  Looking to simply recoup my investment and pass on this great car to another enthusiast, as I only have garage space for one "toy". Asking $26,000 but again I don't NEED to sell so please understand the rarity and value of these cars before contacting me.  The ONLY trade I will consider is something I can drive more to work etc,.during the summer; 2005-2014 Mustang GT convertible ( 2010 up Camaro SS considered too) , must be low miles and accident free.  I will only respond to those that leave a phone number and will not respond to those that don't appear to understand old cars.  Thanks in advance for looking.

P.S. I'll sell it for $500 less to anyone on this site for all the help and if I get my asking price I'll donate something back to this site too.  I'm reasonably firm on price based on what I've seen for comparables.

P.P.S.  Please don't be too hard on me smile for my ONLY preferred trade, just don't love the styling of the newer Camaro's disbelief

 

 

Engine.JPGRF qtr.JPGLeft Side.JPGInterior.JPG



__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2699
Date:

Wow Calvin, it looks like a great car! I understand the need to downsize or to turn an underused car into cash or a practical driver. I also understand the conflict of cutting loose a model that would be tough to find again in that shape.

I'm curious, I know that colour isn't Verdoro Green, is it Jade Gold (paint code S or SS)?

 

Correction: I don't actually know that your car isn't Verdoro Green, so I should avoid declarations as such unless I truly know.



-- Edited by CdnGMfan on Tuesday 6th of June 2017 06:48:19 PM

__________________

67 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, Oshawa-built stocker 250 Powerglide 40,000 mile

Also in garage waiting: stroker 296 cid inline six & built TH350

Cameron Milne, Toronto.


I am a walking encyclopedia with numerous pages missing.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

Hi Cameron,
Thanks, I've had the ad type written for 2 weeks, couldn't get myself to send/list, just don't want to regret my decision but it really pains me to see it sitting in the garage.

It is a QQ Code Verdoro Green car so I'm not sure if it's just the camera and lighting playing tricks? I talked with the fellow that actually restored the car (2nd owner, I bought from 3rd) and he mentioned it was kept original colours. I can't say for 100% confirmation but everywhere it wasn't repainted, and you can see original paint, it all looks the same colour/shade, and when I've seen others in Verdoro Green at car shows it looks like same colour.

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4656
Date:

Well nobody knows the future and I don't know where you are as far as family, young, old, or inbetween but you won't loose much by hanging on to it and storing it someplace if you can see yourself driving it in a couple of years. It sure looks nice and if you were happy with it you won't find another one. On the other hand if there are a couple things that bug you about it, let it go, and there will always be nice muscle cars for sale.

__________________
Jerel


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2699
Date:

In 1968 GM had seven different shades of green, some were very close to other shades. There was Nightshade green which is darker than Verdoro Green (almost a black olive), Jade Gold (that is what yours looks like to me on my monitor, almost Verdoro Green with a gold base coat appearance). Seafrost Green was almost a silver, while Grecian Green was an intense medium green. I think that was it for the greens on a '68 Beaumont.

 

I say think this through carefully because once the car is sold it is gone. If it is costing you more in insurance, licensing and upkeep than it is worth to drive 500 miles a year, and storing it is a logistical problem, then yes it does make sense to consider selling. You have some value in that car that is hard to ignore.



__________________

67 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, Oshawa-built stocker 250 Powerglide 40,000 mile

Also in garage waiting: stroker 296 cid inline six & built TH350

Cameron Milne, Toronto.


I am a walking encyclopedia with numerous pages missing.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35038
Date:

Its a gorgeous car...     put a strong price on it and see what happens....   We can always get more money and we can always get more cars    TIME is never recoverable

Do for you and your family      



__________________

1988 Chevrolet Suburban 9 pass 350 4 speed "survivor"  

MC


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3427
Date:

It's a beauty, and in my favourite colour!  Would love to have it if I could afford it.

I'm with the others - make sure you want to sell it before you do.  Although there are lots of old cars out there, you'd be hard pressed to find another just like the one you have.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

CdnGMfan wrote:

Wow Calvin, it looks like a great car! I understand the need to downsize or to turn an underused car into cash or a practical driver. I also understand the conflict of cutting loose a model that would be tough to find again in that shape.

I'm curious, I know that colour isn't Verdoro Green, is it Jade Gold (paint code S or SS)?

 

Correction: I don't actually know that your car isn't Verdoro Green, so I should avoid declarations as such unless I truly know.



-- Edited by CdnGMfan on Tuesday 6th of June 2017 06:48:19 PM


 No harm no foul. smile



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

427carl wrote:

Its a gorgeous car...     put a strong price on it and see what happens....   We can always get more money and we can always get more cars    TIME is never recoverable

Do for you and your family      


 Thanks Carl, appreciate the support. I have a special needs teenage son and he absolutely LOVES going for drives, his smile warms my heart!  If I bought something newer that I could drive much more regularly and for longer distances without worry or tinkering we would have more time together and I just think that trumps my love, desire and need to have the car I could never afford in my youth. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

MC wrote:

It's a beauty, and in my favourite colour!  Would love to have it if I could afford it.

I'm with the others - make sure you want to sell it before you do.  Although there are lots of old cars out there, you'd be hard pressed to find another just like the one you have.


 Thanks so much, can't say I specifically looked for this colour but I certainly love it too!  And you're correct, like others I've spent countless dollars...not to mention hours, going to look at cars that were not as advertised, already sold, etc etc so I know I will be hard pressed to find another one in this shape for similar money....but as Carl said I might need to put my family first....argh, so torn. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

 

jmont64 wrote:

Well nobody knows the future and I don't know where you are as far as family, young, old, or inbetween but you won't loose much by hanging on to it and storing it someplace if you can see yourself driving it in a couple of years. It sure looks nice and if you were happy with it you won't find another one. On the other hand if there are a couple things that bug you about it, let it go, and there will always be nice muscle cars for sale.


 Thank you Jerel, the storage point is the main issue.  I had a 2 1/2 car garage specifically for my 'toys' but we downsized a bit to buy an investment property for my families future.  I'm certainly no millionaire but could afford to buy a newer convertible too, but alas no extra garage spot any longer cry.  And you're correct, there's always another one out there but I'll always compare it to this one.  Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to provide some advice. 



__________________
MC


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3427
Date:

68vert wrote:
427carl wrote:

Its a gorgeous car...     put a strong price on it and see what happens....   We can always get more money and we can always get more cars    TIME is never recoverable

Do for you and your family      


 Thanks Carl, appreciate the support. I have a special needs teenage son and he absolutely LOVES going for drives, his smile warms my heart!  If I bought something newer that I could drive much more regularly and for longer distances without worry or tinkering we would have more time together and I just think that trumps my love, desire and need to have the car I could never afford in my youth. 


Now that puts it in perspective, and actually tips the scale somewhat for me.  There's lots to like about the newer muscle cars, including safety systems, better braking and handling, and reliability vs an almost-50-year-old car.  They are generally quite fast as well.

Tough decision, but providing more joy to your son will create more wonderful memories for both of you. Definitely tips the scale for me.



__________________


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 102
Date:

I think the car is beautiful. I also think it belongs back in Alberta. Ha ha. If you are slightly flexible on price, I might be interested. I sold my 68 Beau hardtop three years ago and am in the market for a 66-67 but yours might be too nice to pass up!

__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1767
Date:

Nice looking car! I do agree if the car is a distraction and you don't have a place to store it then maybe it's best to move it along. I'm in a similar situation, I have a nice daily convertible and the Beaumont can just collect dust until I have more time to enjoy it...I won't sell it.

My 2 cents on the ad is to remove the language about not needing to sell, etc, etc. I'd just stick to the facts about the car and your price. Just ignore low ballets and deal with who you think is serious. I always think that a seller isn't serious or will be difficult to negotiate with when I read the 'I don't need to sell' line...

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing!

ak

__________________

Wpg, MB

Numbers don't match! Especially HP and ET.  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496943 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

ak 67sd wrote:

Nice looking car! I do agree if the car is a distraction and you don't have a place to store it then maybe it's best to move it along. I'm in a similar situation, I have a nice daily convertible and the Beaumont can just collect dust until I have more time to enjoy it...I won't sell it.

My 2 cents on the ad is to remove the language about not needing to sell, etc, etc. I'd just stick to the facts about the car and your price. Just ignore low ballets and deal with who you think is serious. I always think that a seller isn't serious or will be difficult to negotiate with when I read the 'I don't need to sell' line...

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing!

ak


 thanks for the comments Andrew, again if I had the suitable storage space at home I wouldn't sell either, sounds like you have a good set up.  I appreciate your ad comments too, I guess now that I reflect nobody really cares why I'm selling, they would be just interested in the car.  My only concern was not being perceived as a ' flipper' but I can always explain that when I talk to the prospective buyer.  Always good to understand how others would take your ad so thanks again.



__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1767
Date:

At the end of day the car will speak for itself and a serious buyer will want to see the car, and you love the car so that will give a prospective buyer some added confidence as well! I don't have a perfect set-up, but life sometimes gets in the way and you just roll with it and do the best you can! I don't get the car out as much as I would like, but it can sit... I've had it since I was 14! If you are on the fence, and have the cash-flow to get the daily driver convertible then why not store the Beaumont for a few months, buy your mustang right away and make sure it's car you want before you sell the '68!

Again, enjoy the summer, top down!

20170609_083445.jpg



Attachments
__________________

Wpg, MB

Numbers don't match! Especially HP and ET.  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496943 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

Well after much deliberation, I'm off the fence, hopefully I won't regret it . Anyway, a couple inquiries from members but no serious bites so I'm putting out to the public. Put what I think is a strong price, as was suggested, so we will see what happens.

www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/chilliwack/1968-pontiac-beaumont-convertible/1272637693

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Date:

Good luck with the sale, that's a beautiful car. Almost makes me regret not painting mine the original verdoro green.

__________________

1969 Beaumont Custom

1977 Bronco Sport

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles.



Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:

Hi Chris, did you sell the car? My first car was a brand new 1968 Verdoro Green Beaumont convertible with a white top and gold interior. It had the rather poor 307 engine and drum brakes all around with bench front seats. That car was already above my planned budget! I paid about $3,400 for it at a dealer in London, Ontario. I sold it after about two years when my job transferred me to the USA. This was prior to the auto pact and free trade, so I had visions of buying a Corvette in the USA. That never happened because I could not afford the car insurance. Ha ha. I wish I had that car with me today where I now live in California!

__________________
Joseph Hill


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 152
Date:

Hmmmm, no longer on Kijiji? A beautiful car indeed.

PS. I had a 71 Chevelle with a 307 and headers. Two summers in a row we drove it from Edmonton to California.
4 clowns and no a/c while driving through Death Valley in August. (Albeit in the middle of the night to avoid lodging costs.) Great mileage and reliability.

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35038
Date:

Now August and no news .   probably sold .       lots of old cars for sale here in Ontario 



__________________

1988 Chevrolet Suburban 9 pass 350 4 speed "survivor"  



Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 152
Date:

When reading this thread Carl, I couldn't help but think of your red and white 67 that sold a few years back. Those don't come around too often at what was a somewhat affordable price...

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35038
Date:

It was a interesting car .   1 of 66 .  I bought it for 2950.00 with new paint and top in 1979 .  traded it in 1980 for a 1969 Orange Z28 .     surfaced 30 years later for 25,000 .   

Went to a hoarder our West .   never to be seen again . 



__________________

1988 Chevrolet Suburban 9 pass 350 4 speed "survivor"  



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply but life's been a bit hectic these days as my father in law just passed 2 weeks ago too so that's why I haven't updated things but, yes, car is now SOLD. I sold it the end of June to a fellow from Whistler BC who was super stoked to get it. I told him about this site and all the great support so maybe he'll show up one day? It's odd, I had an IMMENSE amount of interest and I know from my many years of wheelings and dealings that it was priced very fairly but I guess maybe my timing was off?? Anyways, I did find my newer 'toy', a 2011 Mustang GT Convertible with insanely low KM (3000, it was owned by older lady that passed and then it was stuck in probate for 3 years while her kids contested the will - geez no wonder people say weddings and funerals break up families). It's perfect, 6 speed, 412 HP, etc. etc. but I must admit it's just NOT the same as driving/owning my Beaumont so I've already told the purchaser of 'Olive' that if he ever wants to sell; whether it be 1 year or 5, please call me first. I know everyone told me not to sell, but I guess I needed to come to that conclusion myself. Cheers and I'll keep trolling around here since I'm sure I'll be purchasing something older again before too long!

__________________


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 152
Date:

400 hp.... 6 speed... reliable... available parts... available mechanics... I think you'll be fine!!

Sorry about the loss of your father in law.

__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
.
.
.