Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: New guy.


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:
New guy.


Hello from niagara falls Ontario. 

I am a newby pontiac owner , life long car nut ! 

I have picked up a 1968 Pontiac Beaumont SD convertible I found in a old barn. Original owner , ownership and keys ! 
, looks to be the original 396 turbo jet as well . It was driven in the barn in 1980 and put in park. 
the bad news is that the Frame and lower half of the body is very rough. Either way , I had to save this car From the scrap yard. 

this looks to be a great site to start my research on this old gem. 

although this looks to be a enormous undertaking Already. 

looking forward to any advice that can come my way. 

tim 



Attachments
__________________
Timmay


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 41656
Date:

Welcome here, that looks like a great find. And yes, this site is a tremendous resource for your Beaumont.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles



Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 112
Date:

Welcome! Good on you to rescue this one.  I'm fairly new to the site as well and thoroughly enjoy the comradery, suggestions and information that is freely shared here.  I also took on a big project and like all labours of love it always takes more time and money than I first thought but anxiously look forward to getting it on the road.  Be sure to share updates with plenty of pictures.



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 23001
Date:

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your barn find! You'll want to get the GM Docs on that one!

__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island

 



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

The car came with the original bill of sale , are the gm documents different ? Like a build sheet ? 



__________________
Timmay


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

thank you sir. This site has already been a great help. Nice to be on board. 



__________________
Timmay


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 23001
Date:

Yes, for a fee you can get a package from GM Vintage Vehicle service. It includes the build date, shipping date, selling dealer, all the option codes and production numbers. Well worth having! Here's the link
https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/
Timsthename wrote:

The car came with the original bill of sale , are the gm documents different ? Like a build sheet ? 


 



__________________

Todd
Site Founder

Like us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/CanadianPoncho

Canadian Poncho World Headquarters - Prince Edward Island

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18853
Date:

You will also get the original engine number on the GMVVS documents, but as you say that's likely the original engine in there. We don't see the original factory engine decals like that very often.

In 1968 GM Canada named the 396 the Econo-Jet 396 for use in Beaumonts, Turbo-Jet was a Chevrolet marketing term. The air cleaner decal should look like the following photo, either 325 or 350 HP:

See the source image

Even though the car is Canadian and built in Oshawa you will see when you get the GMVVS documents that the engine was from Tonawanda, New York, no big blocks were made in Canada. Small blocks and sixes came from St. Catharines.



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

73SC wrote:

You will also get the original engine number on the GMVVS documents, but as you say that's likely the original engine in there. We don't see the original factory engine decals like that very often.

In 1968 GM Canada named the 396 the Econo-Jet 396 for use in Beaumonts, Turbo-Jet was a Chevrolet marketing term. The air cleaner decal should look like the following photo, either 325 or 350 HP:

See the source image

Even though the car is Canadian and built in Oshawa you will see when you get the GMVVS documents that the engine was from Tonawanda, New York, no big blocks were made in Canada. Small blocks and sixes came from St. Catharines.


Same decal on this air cleaner sir. Correct. Thanks for all the information. im still curious why gm was putting drivetrains in the Pontiac ? 



__________________
Timmay


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1351
Date:

Welcome from Regina.

The Canadian Pontiac and Beaumont/Acadian product line was a response to tariffs on US imported vehicles. The Canadian cars were manufactured on a Chevrolet chassis and I would suspect for cost savings on one off parts also incorporated the Chevrolet engine line up.

__________________

Eric - Regina, SK

The Projects:

1935 Chev 3 Window Std Coupe

1957 Chev 2dr 

1967 Mustang Convertible

1969 Firebird 350HO Convertible

1969 Camaro X11-V8

1969 2+2 was a 396

1969 2+2 427

1978 Chev ShortBox StepSide 4x4

1980 Harley FXWG

1986 CJ7 Jeep

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18853
Date:

McKinnon Industries in those days was a GM Subsidiary located in St. Catharines where pretty much all small block engines and sixes were made. Relatively few Canadian cars were made with special and high-performance engines so those could be obtained from Tonawanda NY for the most part. The cost saving of using a high quality Canadian built engine was all part of the Chevrolet Canadian Pontiac package. McKinnon Industries was eventually purchased outright by GM and is now GM Powertrain at the original location, 570 Glendale Ave., St. Catharines ON.

98541-519539.jpg



-- Edited by 73SC on Wednesday 30th of October 2019 01:42:56 PM

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 19028
Date:

Welcome from Canada's east coast!



__________________

Prince Edward Island

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

73SC wrote:

McKinnon Industries in those days was a GM Subsidiary located in St. Catharines where pretty much all small block engines and sixes were made. Relatively few Canadian cars were made with special and high-performance engines so those could be obtained from Tonawanda NY for the most part. The cost saving of using a high quality Canadian built engine was all part of the Chevrolet Canadian Pontiac package. McKinnon Industries was eventually purchased outright by GM and is now GM Powertrain at the original location, 570 Glendale Ave., St. Catharines ON.

98541-519539.jpg

This is not too far from where I am located. Thanks for all the information. Im learning more about these sd cars everyday. I am also learning that this project may be better suited for another individual. Or possibly a donor car is needed. :( 
Thanks again sir. 
-- Edited by 73SC on Wednesday 30th of October 2019 01:42:56 PM


 



__________________
Timmay


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6336
Date:

Welcome aboard

__________________


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 476
Date:

Welcome from another 68 SD owner.

The decal on the passenger rocker cover in your photo is definitely an aftermarket decal applied by the former owner. Remember seeing them in the seventies at Canadian Tire.

Really rare to find a 68SD convertible !



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 5310
Date:

welcome from Blackstock [just north of Oshawa] nice find , any A body of that series, Buick Sky Lark,Olds Cutlass Pontiac le Mans, Chevelle, will be able to "donate it's chassis" But your right, It's going to be a HUGE JOB!! & costly & unless you "stole it" for a good price & can do a lot of it yourself, be prepared!!!

__________________

I joined the PROCRASTINATOR club last year,we still haven't had a meeting yet.    !!!!!!!! BLACKSTOCK Ont.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

dualquadpete wrote:

welcome from Blackstock [just north of Oshawa] nice find , any A body of that series, Buick Sky Lark,Olds Cutlass Pontiac le Mans, Chevelle, will be able to "donate it's chassis" But your right, It's going to be a HUGE JOB!! & costly & unless you "stole it" for a good price & can do a lot of it yourself, be prepared!!!


hello sir !  Great info As I thought only a Beaumont or chevelle frame would work for a donor. opens up some options. 



__________________
Timmay


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

68beaumont wrote:

Welcome from another 68 SD owner.

The decal on the passenger rocker cover in your photo is definitely an aftermarket decal applied by the former owner. Remember seeing them in the seventies at Canadian Tire.

Really rare to find a 68SD convertible !


 thank you sir. Good to know As I thought it was part of the original decals under the hood. They all seem to be in place so I thought it was an original. As for rare , I believe there were only 65 made in 68 , and something like 7 left ? 



__________________
Timmay


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

73SC wrote:

You will also get the original engine number on the GMVVS documents, but as you say that's likely the original engine in there. We don't see the original factory engine decals like that very often.

In 1968 GM Canada named the 396 the Econo-Jet 396 for use in Beaumonts, Turbo-Jet was a Chevrolet marketing term. The air cleaner decal should look like the following photo, either 325 or 350 HP:

See the source image

Even though the car is Canadian and built in Oshawa you will see when you get the GMVVS documents that the engine was from Tonawanda, New York, no big blocks were made in Canada. Small blocks and sixes came from St. Catharines.


 After a little scrubbing I found that my air cleaner decal is actually different. astro jet is a different 396 ? 



Attachments
__________________
Timmay


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18853
Date:

Astro-Jet is the branding for the 1969 396 engines in Beaumont and Pontiacs. Same engines at 325 and 350 HP just a different name. 

Is your car perhaps a 1969 model?



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

73SC wrote:

Astro-Jet is the branding for the 1969 396 engines in Beaumont and Pontiacs. Same engines at 325 and 350 HP just a different name. 

Is your car perhaps a 1969 model?


 Did 69 even have a sd ? Im 99% sure the ownership says 68 , but I will verify. 73867 is the beginning of the vin as well. 



__________________
Timmay


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 41656
Date:

Yes but a 69 SD is a very rare bird.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 41656
Date:

73SC wrote:

 

Is your car perhaps a 1969 model?


 It appears in the interior picture that the key is in the dash, not on the steering column so it must be a 68.



__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles

MC


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 5806
Date:

When you have a good chance to look at the car, there are a lot of obvious differences, especially on the front and rear fascias.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Canada/GM-Canada/Pontiac/1968%20Beaumont%20Brochure/index.html

1968_Beaumont-01.jpg  1968_Beaumont-05.jpg

 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Canada/GM-Canada/Pontiac/1969-Beaumont-Brochure/index.html

1969_Beaumont-01.jpg  1969_Beaumont-04-05.jpg



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18853
Date:

4SPEED427 wrote:


73SC wrote:


 

Is your car perhaps a 1969 model?


 It appears in the interior picture that the key is in the dash, not on the steering column so it must be a 68.


 I looked at that and agree Carl. I mean I hate pinning the whole thing on an air cleaner decal but there is no doubt Astro-Jet is the 1969 marketing branding on the engines, the only year that term was used.

After so many years have passed I suppose there are innumerable possible explanations for this discrepancy to appear. On the surface it does raise the possibility of an engine change or a simple as an air cleaner lid decal replacement. Who knows at this point until we get an engine number and GMVVS documents.



__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 




1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.