Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: February 2023 Feature Car


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 42
Date:
February 2023 Feature Car


Very nice car - gotta love those old "fat a$$" cars from back then. Had my 51 for about 15 years now - still running the 239, but have upgraded the driveline so she's a little more driveable on the highway. In all the shows I've been to over the years, I've only seen one other 51 and it was a fastback - so yup these babies are a little rare.

Enjoy

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

Turdmagnet wrote:

Very nice car - gotta love those old "fat a$$" cars from back then. Had my 51 for about 15 years now - still running the 239, but have upgraded the driveline so she's a little more driveable on the highway. In all the shows I've been to over the years, I've only seen one other 51 and it was a fastback - so yup these babies are a little rare.

Enjoy


 When you say you kept the 239 and upgraded the driveline, does that upgrade include a newer transmission? And which diff did you choose? I'm researching and planning the same thing so any advice would help! Photos would be great too if you still have any.

 

Thanks,

JP



__________________
@jp_lagrange


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 42
Date:

Switched the 3spd for a T5 out of an 86 S10, and the rear axle is from a 98 Jimmy 4x4 with 3:42 gears.  At highway speeds she's now turning about 1800rpm, and can stay there all day long.  Mileage improved a bit too!!



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

Turdmagnet wrote:

Switched the 3spd for a T5 out of an 86 S10, and the rear axle is from a 98 Jimmy 4x4 with 3:42 gears.  At highway speeds she's now turning about 1800rpm, and can stay there all day long.  Mileage improved a bit too!!


 Did the transmission bolt up to the 239 without too much work?



__________________
@jp_lagrange


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 42
Date:

johnplagrange wrote:
Turdmagnet wrote:

Switched the 3spd for a T5 out of an 86 S10, and the rear axle is from a 98 Jimmy 4x4 with 3:42 gears.  At highway speeds she's now turning about 1800rpm, and can stay there all day long.  Mileage improved a bit too!!


 Did the transmission bolt up to the 239 without too much work?


 

Yes and no.  An adapter plate is needed - they are commercially available but $$$, and the couple of companies I contacted could not confirm they would work with the old Pontiac bellhousing, so I made mine out of 3/4" aluminum plate.  I'm still running the original clutch (rebuilt), throwout bearing and pedal/linkages.  I was able to get a larger clutch disk (11").   The input shaft on the T5 needs to be removed and the bushing end shortened based on my plate design.  The biggest issue is the trans cross member needs to be cut out and modified to catch the back mount on the T5.   Check out the "Ultimate T5 Guide" over on the HAMB - I used it extensively.

 

 

Plate1.JPGTest Fit.JPG



Attachments
__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

Turdmagnet wrote:
johnplagrange wrote:
Turdmagnet wrote:

Switched the 3spd for a T5 out of an 86 S10, and the rear axle is from a 98 Jimmy 4x4 with 3:42 gears.  At highway speeds she's now turning about 1800rpm, and can stay there all day long.  Mileage improved a bit too!!


 Did the transmission bolt up to the 239 without too much work?


 

Yes and no.  An adapter plate is needed - they are commercially available but $$$, and the couple of companies I contacted could not confirm they would work with the old Pontiac bellhousing, so I made mine out of 3/4" aluminum plate.  I'm still running the original clutch (rebuilt), throwout bearing and pedal/linkages.  I was able to get a larger clutch disk (11").   The input shaft on the T5 needs to be removed and the bushing end shortened based on my plate design.  The biggest issue is the trans cross member needs to be cut out and modified to catch the back mount on the T5.   Check out the "Ultimate T5 Guide" over on the HAMB - I used it extensively.

 

 

Plate1.JPGTest Fit.JPG


 Great work!! Thank you for getting back to me.

 

JP



__________________
@jp_lagrange


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 631
Date:

What a neat car, I love the steelies, wide whites and just a bit lowered stance, looks awesome! As Turdmagnet said those fat bottomed cars are just plain cool, love it and even more cool that you get to enjoy with your kids!

__________________


Addicted!

Status: Offline
Posts: 119
Date:

Hello love the car check out the  Vancouver craigslist a 1953 Oldsmobile Super 88 looks like a cousin to your car same color . 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:

mrford wrote:

Hello love the car check out the  Vancouver craigslist a 1953 Oldsmobile Super 88 looks like a cousin to your car same color . 


 Thank you for the heads up!! The Oldsmobile was at the top of my list and I've actually reached out to that individual. Thanks again, JP LaGrange.



__________________
@jp_lagrange


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 47
Date:

Beauty, love the size of all the chrome.
Nice to see the brochure matches

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4664
Date:

Here's a link to the complete 1954 Pontiac Brochure. Canadian & U.S. models as sold in Canada. You saw it here first!



__________________

67 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, Oshawa-built 250 PG never disturbed.

In garage, 296 cid inline six & TH350...

Cam, Toronto.


I don't judge a man by how far he's fallen, but by how far back he bounces - Patton



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3007
Date:

4SPEED427 wrote:

Cool car, cool story, and I LOVE the "HIGH COMPRESSION" along with the letter from General Motors!


 What Carl said.....smile.....and especially great when your family enjoys it as well.......biggrin.......congrats on a cool ride.



__________________

......big block, 4 speed, bench seat, it doesn't get much better

 happy motoring :burnout



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 8186
Date:

soo many differences from 53 to 54 you sure dont see many early ponchos canadian!

__________________

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t51640378/timbuks-first-invader/ http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t63146560/timbuks-second-invader/  vancouver island

«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.