Photobucket
Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: tire size ?


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:
tire size ?


Not sure if it´s the right board.

My Question :
would 235-70-15 or 235-75-15 fit on a 58 Pathfinder?confused
without rubbing on the fenders or something else ?
i dont like the bias with 14 inch.
they look too tiny and handles bad, but i would like to keep the old look with white walls.
Thanks

Patty 58

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

It depends on the rim and rim offset.. I think if you use a stock rim, 15x6 like a S10 they should fit... The P225/75R-15 is probably the best fit.. Carl



-- Edited by 427carl at 12:56, 2008-09-13

__________________

 



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2697
Date:

What size is your original tire?  Should be listed in your owner's manual if you are not sure.  235/75-15 is a large tire, equivalent to J78 x 15, which only came originally on large station wagons in the early 70s.

__________________
Hillar

1970 LS4 (eventually an LS5) Laurentian 2dr hdtp
-and a bunch of other muscle cars...


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3494
Date:

I have 235/75-15's on my 60(wagon) and they fit OK, even with it lowered. I used 15" rims off a '79 Impala. If you have manual steering, it makes it a little harder to turn, but I have no problems with rubbing.

-- Edited by sixtywagon at 21:51, 2008-09-13

Attachments
__________________

1960 Pontiac Strato Chief Safari
1960 Laurentian Safari 
1960 Laurentian 4door(scrapped)
2001 Grand Am Traded on a '96 Suburban 2WD
2002 Hyundai Accent(SOLD)
1968 Grand Parisienne Scrapped and SOLD

 

Calgary, Alberta, but raised in Peterborough



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

Perfect!  thanks!   Did the 79 impala wheels, measure 15x6 or 15x7?    A lot of people, measure a rim, from the very edge to the other edge.. Most 15x7 wheels, for eg. are 8 inches edge to edge..    wheels are correct, measured at the bead seat to beat seat.  A 79 impala would have 15 x6 wheels, and 79 Impala's with F41 suspension would be 15x7's   which are great to get ,and fit on Beumont's, Acadian's, Ventura'S, FOR THE POVERTY wheel look..

__________________

 



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3494
Date:

OOPS, Never measured them, probably 15x6, it was a plain 4door sedan, nothing fancy about it.  Just wanted bigger rims and tires to fill the wheelwells better, the "wide track" Pontiacs of the US never applied to the Chevy based Canadian cars. There had to be about a foot of clearance between the wheelwell and the original 14"

-- Edited by sixtywagon at 00:11, 2008-09-14

__________________

1960 Pontiac Strato Chief Safari
1960 Laurentian Safari 
1960 Laurentian 4door(scrapped)
2001 Grand Am Traded on a '96 Suburban 2WD
2002 Hyundai Accent(SOLD)
1968 Grand Parisienne Scrapped and SOLD

 

Calgary, Alberta, but raised in Peterborough



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18489
Date:

I am probably in a minorty here because I don't like messing with over sized or undersized tires etc that significantly differ from original. I'm with Astro Jet, give us you original size and we can make a recommendation. I like to keep the overall height the same as the original no matter how wide or what wheel size you go with.

Those 235-75-15" are practically a pick up truck tire.

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:

i think my original tires are  8,00x14 bias
should be around 215-70-14 or 205-75-14.
anyhow , i like to get rid of the bias plies, because they handels so bad
But it must be a wide white wall again for the factory look.

Thanks for the opinions

PATTY 58

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18489
Date:

Coker recommends 225 75 14 for your car, have a look:

Wide White Walls - Click Here

Those 235 75 15's are 30" in diameter and the recommended ones above are 27.6". That's about one and a half inches taller. They would probably fit but you'd be riding higher and that sort of difference would affect your speedometer.

-- Edited by 73SC at 15:03, 2008-09-15

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3494
Date:

I never noticed a difference because my speedo doesn't work.

__________________

1960 Pontiac Strato Chief Safari
1960 Laurentian Safari 
1960 Laurentian 4door(scrapped)
2001 Grand Am Traded on a '96 Suburban 2WD
2002 Hyundai Accent(SOLD)
1968 Grand Parisienne Scrapped and SOLD

 

Calgary, Alberta, but raised in Peterborough



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18489
Date:

sixtywagon wrote:

I never noticed a difference because my speedo doesn't work.



laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

I checked the Coker Chart and 215 75 15 are 27.6 diameter so that would be the same height as originals.



-- Edited by 73SC at 23:04, 2008-09-15

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

73SC wrote:

Coker recommends 225 75 14 for your car, have a look:

Wide White Walls - Click Here

Those 235 75 15's are 30" in diameter and the recommended ones above are 27.6". That's about one and a half inches taller. They would probably fit but you'd be riding higher and that sort of difference would affect your speedometer.

-- Edited by 73SC at 15:03, 2008-09-15



       The one and a half inches taller, is really only 3/4 of a inch higher at the road...then of course ,you can get into "loaded radius", which is the amount the tire squats, from the centre of the wheel to the road.. If you are using radial tires, compared to old bias tires, the amount of squat (or deflection) is more, allowing for use of a supposely taller tire  C2



__________________

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18489
Date:

Yikes, forgot we had an expert. smile

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

that a guruuuu    lol

__________________

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 18489
Date:

My apologies, I think that would be "Mr. Tire Guru" would it not? wink

__________________

Ray White, Toronto ON

1973 LeMans 454 "Astro-Jet"

Built March 9, 1973 - Oshawa ON

 






Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:

@427Carl:

if i understand right , you say i can go with 235-75-15 tires?confused

( sorry for maybe being stupid, but some words i´ve never heard overhere in germany)

Thanks
PATTY 58

-- Edited by Patty 58 at 16:59, 2008-09-16

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

73SC wrote:

My apologies, I think that would be "Mr. Tire Guru" would it not? wink



         Your are forgiven, and correct!   lol  MTG



__________________

 



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

Patty 58 wrote:

@427Carl:

if i understand right , you say i can go with 235-75-15 tires?confused

( sorry for maybe being stupid, but some words i´ve never heard overhere in germany)

Thanks
PATTY 58

-- Edited by Patty 58 at 16:59, 2008-09-16



        Yes Patty, I think a P225/75R-15 0R P235  would fit on a 15X6 rim..  SIXTYWAGON   says he has no problem wiht them....



__________________

 



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 2697
Date:

427carl wrote:

73SC wrote:

Coker recommends 225 75 14 for your car, have a look:

Wide White Walls - Click Here

Those 235 75 15's are 30" in diameter and the recommended ones above are 27.6". That's about one and a half inches taller. They would probably fit but you'd be riding higher and that sort of difference would affect your speedometer.

-- Edited by 73SC at 15:03, 2008-09-15



       The one and a half inches taller, is really only 3/4 of a inch higher at the road...then of course ,you can get into "loaded radius", which is the amount the tire squats, from the centre of the wheel to the road.. If you are using radial tires, compared to old bias tires, the amount of squat (or deflection) is more, allowing for use of a supposely taller tire  C2



But the circumference isn't going to change, regardless if the tire does squat somewhat.  Going from a 215 to a 235 tire will effectively lower your axle ratio thus decreasing performance and throw your speedometer off, although you should get slightly better fuel economy.



__________________
Hillar

1970 LS4 (eventually an LS5) Laurentian 2dr hdtp
-and a bunch of other muscle cars...
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
.
.
.