Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Crager Universal SS rims.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:
Crager Universal SS rims.


Anyone have any experience with these?

 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/ville-de-montreal/universal-cragar-ss-rims-for-sale/597104601



__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

......I think someone just painted over the chrome that was probably peeling. I never seen black Cragar's. I have several sets of the Cragar SS unilug's and really like them. Just keep them polished and will last a long time if looked after. Oldest set I have on my 58 is about 35 years. Just put new ones on my 49 that I just finished. They are a classic that doesn't go out of style.

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 4139
Date:

Professur wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these?

 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/ville-de-montreal/universal-cragar-ss-rims-for-sale/597104601


 I've had then on my 63,69 Chev and now on my 63 Pontiac. The one's on the 63 are 30 years old...

Important part is to get the proper lug nuts along with the thick offset spacers that goes with them..can't just use any lug nut.

Takes a bit of manipulation to get them lined up since the lug nuts are sized with not much clearance in the diameter.

Once on they look great. 

Here's a discussion about them that might be clearer about the nut/washer for them.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-41911.html

 

What the nuts and washers are like -http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/crr-kn2111/overview/



-- Edited by Greaser on Friday 6th of June 2014 02:31:49 PM

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 4139
Date:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

......I think someone just painted over the chrome that was probably peeling. I never seen black Cragar's. I have several sets of the Cragar SS unilug's and really like them. Just keep them polished and will last a long time if looked after. Oldest set I have on my 58 is about 35 years. Just put new ones on my 49 that I just finished. They are a classic that doesn't go out of style.


 There are Black Cragars....and you're right these for sale are someone's cover-ups, like you said the chrome is probably peeling........

Cragar Series 61B - Black S/S Super Sport Direct Drill



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

Thanks guys .. gonna go look at them tonight.

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

Those are 35 year old REVERSE 15x7's  painted black   will only fit open wheel well cars like  73-77 Lemans  etc.  



__________________

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

Looking at them for the 81 custom cruiser

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7153
Date:

427carl wrote:

Those are 35 year old REVERSE 15x7's  painted black   will only fit open wheel well cars like  73-77 Lemans  etc.  


 X2   that is exactly right,  you can also tell they are early 70's because of how wide the bell is ..  they used the same size center as the 14's at the time , width difference was made up with the bell .

 

these are old wheels that have been painted black , and require a special offset washer that indexes the wheel as stated already.  I have a pair of these that came on my 33 coupe from Eric.



__________________

later...rog

AADD supporting member !!
I'm a collector...not a builder!!Located in sunny central Saskatchewan at the lakehead!


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

Well, I got them. Dealed him down a little. The centre of the lug slots is a bit abused, and the washers are the round ones for 4 3/4" hubs, not the offsets that I'll need for 5x5 ... the surface wasn't prepped at all before it was rattle canned black ... I'm seeing some shiny on the edge, but down in the valley it looks grey. I'll spend some time tomorrow with a plastic scraper getting the black off and post pics.

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

Professur wrote:

Well, I got them. Dealed him down a little. The centre of the lug slots is a bit abused, and the washers are the round ones for 4 3/4" hubs, not the offsets that I'll need for 5x5 ... the surface wasn't prepped at all before it was rattle canned black ... I'm seeing some shiny on the edge, but down in the valley it looks grey. I'll spend some time tomorrow with a plastic scraper getting the black off and post pics.


          don't spend any time on them, until you see if they will fit....



__________________

 



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Online
Posts: 4139
Date:

427carl wrote:
Professur wrote:

Well, I got them. Dealed him down a little. The centre of the lug slots is a bit abused, and the washers are the round ones for 4 3/4" hubs, not the offsets that I'll need for 5x5 ... the surface wasn't prepped at all before it was rattle canned black ... I'm seeing some shiny on the edge, but down in the valley it looks grey. I'll spend some time tomorrow with a plastic scraper getting the black off and post pics.


          don't spend any time on them, until you see if they will fit....


 X2.....my thoughts exactly.



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

They have the centre welded in backwards   They will put tires way out    I sold hundreds of them     they have to be trial fitted    

 

 

$_20.JPG



Attachments
__________________

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

Yep. He couldn't get them to fit his vehicle so he had spacer rings cut. I'll find out tomorrow. At worst, I'll flip them with a fresh coat of colour.

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

427carl wrote:

They have the centre welded in backwards   They will put tires way out    I sold hundreds of them     they have to be trial fitted    

 

 

$_20.JPG


 

.....I kinda disagree. They look like just std offset to me, drum face is approx 3.5"  to either bead side of the rim.  Look at the cap, it is sticking out ,  so the rim is not offset.  I have  both std and offset 7"  and the offset the cap is way in and the rim looks deep dish.  He had spacers trying to get the wheel outwards ,  why would he do that if the wheel was offset ? 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

Just did a quick measure .. from rear lip to the back of the lug hole is 4.9" Damn stupid Canadian tire caliper. And yep, the lip is chrome under that black. The hub looks dark grey.



-- Edited by Professur on Friday 6th of June 2014 10:41:24 PM

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 35742
Date:

Johnny Ringo wrote:
427carl wrote:

They have the centre welded in backwards   They will put tires way out    I sold hundreds of them     they have to be trial fitted    

 

 

$_20.JPG


 

.....I kinda disagree. They look like just std offset to me, drum face is approx 3.5"  to either bead side of the rim.  Look at the cap, it is sticking out ,  so the rim is not offset.  I have  both std and offset 7"  and the offset the cap is way in and the rim looks deep dish.  He had spacers trying to get the wheel outwards ,  why would he do that if the wheel was offset ? 


         I might be wrong.    I was once before



__________________

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

Professur wrote:

Just did a quick measure .. from rear lip to the back of the lug hole is 4.9" Damn stupid Canadian tire caliper. And yep, the lip is chrome under that black. The hub looks dark grey.



-- Edited by Professur on Friday 6th of June 2014 10:41:24 PM


 ..

.......I'm still not convinced here from just looking at the pic as to the backspace.   If you can, just put a straight edge across the back of the rim and then measure to the face that makes contact with the drum  or hook a tape measure to the drum side and measure to the straightedge on the front side of the rim.   Yeah, the rim is chromed steel and the center part is chromed aluminum.  They would pit the center or peel and the steel would rust if not kept clean,   thus why the guy painted them to hide it all.  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

That measure is 4.9"

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7153
Date:

that picture creates an illusion ,  makes it look like a deep bell, when infact , the bell is tapered from the center to the outer at about a 45' .. 

a straight on pic would show what I mean.

 



__________________

later...rog

AADD supporting member !!
I'm a collector...not a builder!!Located in sunny central Saskatchewan at the lakehead!


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 661
Date:

lip to lip 8"
rear lip to rear of flange 4.2"
front lip to front of flange 3.3"
The cap does protrude past the front lip
pics to follow when the camera's cable shows up again.

 

4.9 measurement included the thickness of the board put across the rim. Doh!



-- Edited by Professur on Saturday 7th of June 2014 01:49:03 PM

__________________
Natura Non Confunda Est


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 902
Date:

...I read it as you measured the front lip to the washer side of the hub, the hub is approx 3/4" thick , add that to the 3.3 you got = 4.05 which is virtually the same you got on the back side ( 4.2) ........so that confirms the rim is std offset like I originally thought it is from the pic. The lip to lip is 8 , subtract the lip of 1/2" on each side which gives bead to bead seating area = 7" like the rim is. A std 7" has the cap sticking out just abit just like the one in the pic . GM 4 3/4 bolt circle will use the middle of the slot .


__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.