Photobucket
Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Tired 283 tech question...


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:
Tired 283 tech question...


Have 64 Laurentian 4dr  (driver,sort of)...

Bought it from Honest Dave....as a running driving  parts car about 5 years ago....but can't bring myself to execute it...

 283 2bbl. typical ps and pb....I'm thinking 85k on the clock...

Engine runs quite well...no lifter noise....but pushes a slight blue cloud (constant)....once it warms up...

Doesn't look like it's ever been apart...all stock

I'm thinking the valve stem seals have fallen off?

Need to do a compression test....little or NO blow-by...as I recall...



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 42155
Date:

Those valve stem seals are likely rock hard, the ones that haven't fallen off like you say!

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7117
Date:

im down for those stem seals also.....the newer mushroom ones are way better

__________________

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t51640378/timbuks-first-invader/ http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t63146560/timbuks-second-invader/  vancouver island



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 42155
Date:

timbuk wrote:

im down for those stem seals also.....the newer mushroom ones are way better





You're from BC, you would always think mushrooms are the answer.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4996
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:
timbuk wrote:

im down for those stem seals also.....the newer mushroom ones are way better



 



You're from BC, you would always think mushrooms are the answer.


 or umbrella type.......which would also work for BC



__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 42155
Date:

LOL, good point!

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

SO.....do they smoke the mushrooms.....or shoot them?....

__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 19416
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

SO.....do they smoke the mushrooms.....or shoot them?....


I think Tim likes his afternoon tea ... 



__________________

Prince Edward Island

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1618
Date:

"What ever you shoot, snort, smoke or rub in your belly, it's your $h*t." George Carlin

I always understood that bad valve guides (or stem seals) would produce blue smoke on start up and when under compression (using the engine to slow the car down = high manifold vacuum). If the car is puffing the blues all the time, I would suspect rings.

Although, I agree, those valve stem seals are most likely as hard and brittle as Bakelite, and most are probably lying on top of the heads or washed down into the oil pan, so changing them should help regardless.




__________________

_______________________________________
==|====|----B-E-A-U-M-O-N-T----|====|==

\__________________|________|____________________/

__\____O__________________|66BEAU|___________________O____/



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

I think a good dose of Seafoam might be in order FIRST.....




__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7117
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

I think a good dose of Seafoam might be in order FIRST.....



 maybe see a doctor



__________________

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t51640378/timbuks-first-invader/ http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t63146560/timbuks-second-invader/  vancouver island



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

timbuk wrote:
MoboMac wrote:

I think a good dose of Seafoam might be in order FIRST.....



 maybe see a doctor


 personally....I prefer INHALANTS....nothing like the fresh smell of Plasticoat...or SEM...from a rattle can...



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

66 Beau wrote:

"What ever you shoot, snort, smoke or rub in your belly, it's your $h*t." George Carlin

I always understood that bad valve guides (or stem seals) would produce blue smoke on start up and when under compression (using the engine to slow the car down = high manifold vacuum). If the car is puffing the blues all the time, I would suspect rings.

Although, I agree, those valve stem seals are most likely as hard and brittle as Bakelite, and most are probably lying on top of the heads or washed down into the oil pan, so changing them should help regardless.



 x 2



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 4996
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

SO.....do they smoke the mushrooms.....or shoot them?....


 Well.....we tried smoken them.Lit a big fire(horseshoe shapped) hoping the smoke would make them  all move to one corner like cattle, but they didn't budge! Not even an inch.Just stayed still and burnt all up! Went out and got our guns,waited till dusk when everything was calm then "BANG" Took their tops clean off. Problem was by the time we got down to'em to take a look,wasn't much left of'em, missing their tops and all. Any other suggestions?



__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

hawkeye5766 wrote:
MoboMac wrote:

SO.....do they smoke the mushrooms.....or shoot them?....


 Well.....we tried smoken them.Lit a big fire(horseshoe shapped) hoping the smoke would make them  all move to one corner like cattle, but they didn't budge! Not even an inch.Just stayed still and burnt all up! Went out and got our guns,waited till dusk when everything was calm then "BANG" Took their tops clean off. Problem was by the time we got down to'em to take a look,wasn't much left of'em, missing their tops and all. Any other suggestions?


 and then....everybody lived happily ever after.....except for the married guys...who just pretended...



-- Edited by MoboMac on Tuesday 4th of October 2016 11:46:33 PM

__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 42155
Date:

This thread barely even got derailed.

Mobo, did you get your question answered at least before the hippies took over?

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:

This thread barely even got derailed.

Mobo, did you get your question answered at least before the hippies took over?


 If the Seafoam doesn't help......I'm just going to drive it......If anybody says anything about the smoke.....I'll just tell them it's a Lawnboy...biggrin



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 19416
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

 and then....everybody lived happily ever after.....except for the married guys...who just pretended...


 For some reason this reminded me of an old saying a farmer used to say all the time when I was a teenager working for him.

"... meanwhile back at the ranch everybody was feeling Mary. When Mary got up, they jumped for Joy"blankstare

Now this thread is derailed.



__________________

Prince Edward Island

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



Poncho Master!

Status: Online
Posts: 2642
Date:

MoboMac wrote:
Carl Stevenson wrote:

This thread barely even got derailed.

Mobo, did you get your question answered at least before the hippies took over?


 If the Seafoam doesn't help......I'm just going to drive it......If anybody says anything about the smoke.....I'll just tell them it's a Lawnboy...biggrin


 My old 59 283 was an El Camino, it had a 55L tank and burned a liter of oil to a tank of gas- about 50:1. I told everybody it was a 2 stroke.

I also had to clean the chunks off several spark plugs every 1000KM's, and found that synthetic oil did not burn as cleanly as regular oil. The 59 could lay out a cloud the size of the car in the right circumstances. My vote is the valve seals and the rings, just check compression.

 



__________________

63 Parisienne sport coupe (The Big GTO), black, maroon interior, 409 4 speed; former owner of a 59 El Camino, 63 Corvette SWC, 62 Chev Bel Air SC. 

Mahone Bay, NS Still not old enough to need an automatic



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7117
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:
timbuk wrote:

im down for those stem seals also.....the newer mushroom ones are way better



 



You're from BC, you would always think mushrooms are the answer.


 hmmm wonder who derailed this one.....just sayin.....



__________________

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t51640378/timbuks-first-invader/ http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t63146560/timbuks-second-invader/  vancouver island



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 42155
Date:

Hawkeye.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

DonSSDD wrote:
MoboMac wrote:
Carl Stevenson wrote:

This thread barely even got derailed.

Mobo, did you get your question answered at least before the hippies took over?


 If the Seafoam doesn't help......I'm just going to drive it......If anybody says anything about the smoke.....I'll just tell them it's a Lawnboy...biggrin


 My old 59 283 was an El Camino, it had a 55L tank and burned a liter of oil to a tank of gas- about 50:1. I told everybody it was a 2 stroke.

I also had to clean the chunks off several spark plugs every 1000KM's, and found that synthetic oil did not burn as cleanly as regular oil. The 59 could lay out a cloud the size of the car in the right circumstances. My vote is the valve seals and the rings, just check compression.

 


 another thing NOT to like.... about plastic oil....



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1429
Date:

Ran this one today.... briefly....had to move it....and think I'm going to do a compression test........if the results are in spec.....for an older engine.....I'm going to throw some new plugs at it.........AND a new PVC valve....OR...clean.... and flush the old one out...

__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 5911
Date:

You guys are all.......................................................................... NUTTY, CRAZY, GOOFY. I meant regular C.P. guys.



__________________

1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan restored 261 six

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon low mileage original 400 V-8

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.