Photobucket
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 67 327 engine ID


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1450
Date:
67 327 engine ID


Looking at a 67 Canadian full size....and seller claims it's a 327...from previous owner

But I also know that alot of 283's become 327's (magically)...when car is for sale......

I need to know a quick and simple way to determine engine size.....

The pictures I saw  show an oil fill pipe in cast iron intake.....side inlet Quadrajet....

Valve covers look like 283 covers...not the earlier 327 specific style.

as I recall...327 should have a proper harmonic balancer?



-- Edited by MoboMac on Friday 15th of October 2021 06:08:35 PM

Attachments
__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1040
Date:

If I remember correctly all the 327 engines had a harmonic balancer, the low horsepower engines were quite small by todays standards. The later 283 engines also got harmonic balancers when equipped with a cast iron crankshaft. The only way to know for sure what engine it is would be the block stamping number in front of the cylinder head and the casting number on the block rear left side.

__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7526
Date:

looks like 327 heads casting number rear left will tell ya

__________________

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t51640378/timbuks-first-invader/ http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t63146560/timbuks-second-invader/  vancouver island



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 8388
Date:

The image certainly looks like my 67/275 327 as originally dressed.

Same valve covers, fuel line routing, double humps, oil filler, pcv routing, damper?...

327.JPG32.JPG



Attachments
__________________
65 Laurentian post, 67 Grande Parisienne 4 door HT. 
 


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1450
Date:

OK....thanks for everybodys input...

If it runs good...I'm going to roll the dice..

__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3438
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

OK....thanks for everybodys input...

If it runs good...I'm going to roll the dice..


 Did you get the front pad stamp numbers?



__________________

Vincent Jr.



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1450
Date:

No....but I'm going there tomorrow....What codes should I be finding...

 

Apparently several others have read codes and and have stated it is #'s match...Just want to be sure..



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7560
Date:

get the casting number off the bell housing flange



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3438
Date:

MoboMac wrote:

No....but I'm going there tomorrow....What codes should I be finding...

 

Apparently several others have read codes and and have stated it is #'s match...Just want to be sure..


The pad is out in front of the right head. While casting numbers are good too, they won't tell the application. I was talking to Cheviac as he sent a pic of the casting number of his '70 LS4 454 block... as it happens, the number carried over from the '69 427 engine.

Here is the site to check: How to decode Chevy Engine Codes (nastyz28.com)

Get your suffix code and go to the site. 

This one is from my driving '67 Laurentian Wagon. As you can see with mine, K 03 09 KL. McKinnon, March 09 of '67. Oddly enough, 1 day before I was born! Guess I was meant to have this car. KL--327 4bbl, 275hp. It should be a THM400, that's what mine has.

KL
1967327tur 350 2754full size

IMG_E4587.JPG











-- Edited by 67Poncho on Saturday 16th of October 2021 03:47:09 PM

Attachments
__________________

Vincent Jr.



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1450
Date:

67Poncho wrote:
MoboMac wrote:

No....but I'm going there tomorrow....What codes should I be finding...

 

Apparently several others have read codes and and have stated it is #'s match...Just want to be sure..


The pad is out in front of the right head. While casting numbers are good too, they won't tell the application. I was talking to Cheviac as he sent a pic of the casting number of his '70 LS4 454 block... as it happens, the number carried over from the '69 427 engine.

Here is the site to check: How to decode Chevy Engine Codes (nastyz28.com)

Get your suffix code and go to the site. 

This one is from my driving '67 Laurentian Wagon. As you can see with mine, K 03 09 KL. McKinnon, March 09 of '67. Oddly enough, 1 day before I was born! Guess I was meant to have this car. KL--327 4bbl, 275hp. It should be a THM400, that's what mine has.

KL
1967327tur 350 2754full size

IMG_E4587.JPG






Ok Great info......so as long as this one is stamped KL...it should be what it looks like...


I always thought that the Canadian stamped codes.....did not correlate to the us ones..



-- Edited by 67Poncho on Saturday 16th of October 2021 03:47:09 PM


 



__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 7560
Date:

a lot of Canadian engine numbers did not have this info. Not sure if 67 went to the suffix code



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3438
Date:

70 SS ACADIAN wrote:

a lot of Canadian engine numbers did not have this info. Not sure if 67 went to the suffix code


 As stated that this is the engine from my '67 Laurentian wagon.... the second from the right in my avatar. I will get the one from my '67 Grande wagon, it is a "GF". Every engine I have seen from about '65 up, has the exact stamp info. And remember, the Canadian Pontiacs won't be listed... but because they use Chevrolet engines, the suffix will be the same.






-- Edited by 67Poncho on Saturday 16th of October 2021 09:41:23 PM

__________________

Vincent Jr.



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3438
Date:

To further the topic, just in from the dark to snap 2 more '67 Canadian Poncho small block stamps with suffix's. The first one is an original documented 283ci in my Grande wagon, 2nd from the left in my avatar. The 2nd pic is the original 21 day later 327ci in my 4-dr h/t Grande and overseeing my work, my kitty, BB.

 

IMG_E4606.JPG

 

 

IMG_4612.PNG

 

 IMG_4614.PNG

 

 








-- Edited by 67Poncho on Saturday 16th of October 2021 09:42:48 PM

Attachments
__________________

Vincent Jr.



Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 5485
Date:

That thermostat jacket is not 283. No indents on a 283 jacket from what I remember...

__________________


A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 20406
Date:

67Poncho wrote:

overseeing my work, my kitty, BB. 

 IMG_4614.PNG

 


 If BB confirms it, it must right!



__________________

Prince Edward Island

'64 Parisienne CS "barn find" - last on the road in '86 ... Owner Protection Plan booklet, original paint, original near-mint aqua interior, original aqua GM floor mats, original 283, factory posi, and original rust.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Online
Posts: 44442
Date:

The casting number on the top of the block behind the driver's side cylinder head is the clincher. Pretty tough to fake those casting numbers. Not likely someone would do a restamp on a 283 to make it a "327" but it's not impossible.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles "FAKE_66"



Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1450
Date:

Thanks....for everybodys input..

Looks my deal may have gone sideways....

I will advise...it that changes..

__________________


Former owner of........Who really CARES?

The Wall of DEATH

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRFkgWuM40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.